Liaison and diversion service
The liaison and diversion team provide a service for people with mental health problems in Barnsley, and those within secure settings, who are in touch with the criminal justice system.
The team provides assessment of need and risk and appropriate diversion away from the criminal justice system. Care offered is tailored to meet the individual’s needs and is based on working towards end results as identified by the service user. Support offered could include help with:
- Managing their mental health
- Looking after themselves
- Recovering social networks
- Rebuilding self-esteem
The service is made up of a specialist team including:
- Social worker
- Senior practitioner
- Team secretary
- Sessional forensic consultant psychiatrist
The team have a range of clinical and managerial skills, knowledge and expertise within the mental health and criminal justice field. We are able to provide extensive interventions which cover health and social care needs.
The service provides liaison with all other agencies involved with clients within the criminal justice system inclusive of probation. The service provides assessments at the point of arrest in the custody suite, assessments for the court and probation
Why would someone choose the service
- To receive a needs-led assessment from experienced caring workers, whilst at a vulnerable period.
- We are a highly specialised service with extensive years of mental health and specialist criminal justice experience.
- We provide highly specialised knowledge and skills in legal requirements such as mental health legislation.
- We work in partnership with other third sector organisations to provide a whole package to service users and their carers.
- Our team are able to provide urgent access, and signpost to other relevant services.
- We aim to involve service users and carers in all aspects of care and support patients on their journey to recovery.
Staff you may meet
- Other clinical staff
- Social worker
- Specialist advisor