Barnsley memory service provides a single point of access, for the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of people with memory problems in line with the NHS national dementia strategy.
The service is based at Kendray Hospital and operates from Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.00pm.
Staff in the memory service work closely with GPs, colleagues from Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Mount Vernon Hospital, and other health professionals to carry out a detailed assessment to establish the underlying causes of memory problems.
In cases where an individual receives a diagnosis of dementia, treatment and interventions are offered to enable each individual and their carer to manage their condition as effectively as possible; maintaining their optimum level of functioning for as long as possible.
Choice and independence are fully supported throughout the process.
Why would someone choose the service
- People can be confident that all staff in Barnsley memory services are appropriately qualified, highly skilled and experienced in dementia care and treatment.
- Each member of the service takes pride in treating people with dignity and respect, offering a rounded approach to service delivery.
- Staff in the team work hard to involve people with dementia and the carers and all decisions about care and treatment, offering full explanations and giving opportunity for people to voice their concerns.
- 99% of people seen by our service stated that they would be likely or extremely likely to recommend our service to their family and friends needing a similar care or treatment.
- 100% of the people seen by our service felt that their privacy and dignity was maintained.
- Barnsley memory service has been accredited as excellent for the delivery of assessment and diagnosis of dementia. We have also been accredited as excellent for the delivery of psychosocial interventions for people with dementia.
- The service has also recently been short listed in the Dementia Care category of the Patient Safety and Care Awards which celebrate staff who have created or contributed to excellent healthcare initiatives that have made care safer and better quality for patients and service users.
Staff you may meet
- Non-clinical support staff
- Occupational therapist
- Other clinical staff
- Support worker