Beamshaw ward (Barnsley)
Beamshaw ward is controlled access, male-only 14 bed inpatient unit which provides support to those experiencing an acute mental crisis where there are significant risks to themselves/and or others.
The nursing team on the unit provide assessments for both informal service users (service users admitted to the ward on a voluntary basis) and service users detained under the Mental Health Act. The assessments undertaken take into account emotions, behaviours, socio-economical, environmental, and cultural factors.
Care plans are developed in partnership with services to meet their individual risks and needs.
Beamshaw ward aims to create and maintain a safe, supportive and therapeutic, recovery focused environment to support the physical, emotional and mental well being of all service users who are experiencing an episode of mental ill health.
Why would someone choose the service
- Beamshaw ward is situated at The Oakwell Centre at Kendray Hospital and is a modern environmentally friendly building with up to date facilities including a therapy suite, relaxation room, computer room with internet access, service user kitchen, gymnasium, games room and family friendly visiting rooms.
- Beamshaw ward is a male only ward which houses individual en-suite rooms which have all recently been redecorated to a high quality.
- The team is committed to collecting service user feedback which is used to shape the service, improve practice and help with staff development.
In a recent survey:
- 75% of service users felt that they were treated with dignity and respect throughout their stay.
- 100% felt there was some improvement in their mental health, whilst 50% reported feeling ”a lot better” on discharge from the ward.
- 100% reported that they felt involved in their care and treatment planning.
Staff you may meet
- Activity co-ordinator
- Non-clinical support staff
- Nursing assistant
- Occupational therapist
- Other clinical staff
- Specialist advisor
- Ward staff