Care navigation and telehealth service
Important information about this service
South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust has been notified by Barnsley Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) that the funding for telehealth vital sign monitoring equipment and telephonic health coaching services will cease on the 31 January 2018. The clinical commissioning group made the decision following a review of the service. This means that the Trust will no longer be providing telehealth monitoring and telephonic health coaching services to Barnsley patients from this date. As patients are often only with the care navigation service for short periods of time, patients who are currently on a care navigation and telehealth programme will be given the opportunity to complete it. This change will therefore not affect many current service users. For those likely to be affected we will be in contact to discuss the changes.
The Barnsley care navigation and telehealth service help people with an ongoing illness or long term condition to take control of their health – maximising their potential for independent living. People are supported by dedicated nursing staff who provide information and advice to encourage healthier behaviours and lifestyles.
The service places the patient at the centre of care and supports them to understand more about their condition/illness, creating a greater awareness of the illness itself and the behaviours that trigger or exacerbate the problem. We provide a nurse care navigator as a point of contact; creating a strong relationship between the patient and service, built around trust and respect. The nurse care navigator signposts directly into other health, social and third sector services – helping patients to navigate the most appropriate method of care built on choice.
As well as delivering telephonic care the service undertakes telehealth vital sign monitoring in which patients are provided with a telehealth device that is kept in their own home and is used on a daily basis in order to monitor symptoms. Information collected from the telehealth device is passed to the nurse care navigators in order to note behaviours and knowledge relating to the patient’s long term condition .g. COPD / heart failure.
Find out more by viewing our films, featuring inspiring stories from Barnsley people who have used our service: www.takecontrolBarnsley.co.uk
Why would someone choose the service
- We help you navigate care and provide support, so you feel more in control of your health condition
- Our team of nurses can help you if you have been newly diagnosed with a long term health condition. We can also help if you have been living with your condition
- for some time or if you have more than one condition
- We tailor our care to make sure that it suits the individuals and their needs
- We’ll give you information about local services that you may not be aware of – such as self-help groups, support groups, social services and the voluntary sector
- We offer support to achieve existing goals or help in setting new ones
Listed below are the responses received from patients following the 2014 / 2015 audit for those patients that had accessed the care navigation and health coaching pathways:-
Care navigation pathway patient responses:
- 82% said their confidence has increased
- 77% felt that they are more in control of their condition
- 77% had visited the services identified through the care navigation service
- 64% said the care navigation service has helped them solve a problem
- 59% felt the service helped them identify local services which benefited them
- 59% said they are visiting their GP less
Health coaching pathway patient responses:
- 100% identified realistic goals and had taken steps to act on them
- 100% agreed that they felt more in control of their condition
- 100% made lifestyle changes
- 100% agreed that they visit their GP less
- 75% had increased their confidence
- 75% felt their quality of life has improved
Our inspiring stories, featuring Barnsley people who have used our service, show how our service has changed their life: www.takecontrolBarnsley.co.uk
Staff you may meet
- Care navigator
- Non-clinical support staff