Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) – Kirklees
Are you feeling STRESSED??
Stress is very common and affects us all in different ways.
A free stress control course, run by our NHS Trust in Kirklees, is designed to help you learn new skills to cope. Read on to find out more.
What is stress?
Stress is the feeling of being under too much mental or emotional pressure. Pressure turns into stress when you feel unable to cope. Many of life’s demands can cause stress, especially work, relationships and money problems, and when you feel stressed, it can affect everything you do.
Why do people get stressed?
Any type of mental pressure can cause stress. It can be brought on by a single event, a build-up of several small things or pressure you put on yourself. Some common causes of stress include:
- money problems
- work worries
- death of a loved one
- family problems
Sometimes, there are no clear causes of stress.
Is it normal to feel stressed?
People have different ways of reacting to stress, so a situation that feels stressful to one person may in fact be motivating to another. But it is very normal to feel stressed – in fact mental health issues, including stress, are the reason for one in five visits to a GP.
How do I know if I’m stressed?
Not everyone who feels stressed will feel the same. Each person reacts differently to stress and feels different things. Symptoms and difficulties may include any of the following:
- Feeling irritable
- Finding you are avoiding certain situations
- Feeling something dreadful is going to happen
- Unable to relax
- Feeling stressed
- Sleep difficulties
- Unable to concentrate
- Having worrying thoughts
- Stomach churning
- Heart pounding
What is the stress control course?
The course is for anyone who may be feeling the effects of stress. It will help you learn new skills to manage symptoms more confidently.
Who can come to the course?
Anyone older than 18 and who is registered with a GP in the Calderdale or Kirklees area. You do not need a referral from a doctor or health professional.
What is the course about?
The course is delivered by professionals from the IAPT team and takes place over six sessions which look at:
- Information about stress
- Controlling your body: relaxation, exercise
- Controlling your thoughts: learn to think your way out of stress
- Controlling your actions: boost self confidence
- Controlling panic
- Controlling sleep problems; controlling your future
Will I get any written materials?
Yes, the course comes with free written information which is yours to keep and covers a variety of topics, including self-help ideas.
Where and when do the courses take place?
The course is held for six weeks and each session is one hour 30 minutes, with a short break in the middle. We try to hold the course at local venues across Kirklees, so it is easy for you to get to. The courses are usually held in the evening to fit around work and family commitments. Call us to find out about courses near you.
- Friday 19 January-23 February- 10:30am-12pm Huddersfield Mission
- Monday 12 March-23 April – 10:30am-12pm Dewsbury HC
- Friday 11 May-15 June- 10:30am-12pm-Huddersfield Mission
- Tuesday 22 May-26 June- 10:30am-12pm-Dewsbury HC
- Friday 14 September – 19 October – 10:30am-12pm-Huddersfield Mission
- Thursday 15 November-20 December-10.30am-12pm-Dewsbury HC
- Thursday 11 January-15 February-6:15-7:45pm-Huddersfield Mission
- Tuesday 16 January-20 February- 6:15-7:45pm-Dewsbury HC
- Thursday 8 March-12 April- 6:15-7:45pm-Huddersfield Mission
- Tuesday 20 March-24 April- 6:15-7:45pm-Dewsbury HC
- Thursday 3 May-7 June- 6:15-7:45pm-Huddersfield Mission
- Tuesday 8 May-12 June- 6:15-7:45pm-Dewsbury HC
- Thursday 28 June-2 August- 6:15-7:45pm-Huddersfield Mission
- Tuesday 10 July-14 August- 6:15-7:45pm- Dewsbury HC
- Thursday 6 September-11 October- 6:15-7:45pm-Huddersfield Mission
- Tuesday 18 September-23 October- 6:15-7:45pm- Dewsbury HC
- Thursday 1 November-6 December-6:15-7:45pm- Huddersfield Mission
- Tuesday 13 November-18 December-6:15-7:45pm-Dewsbury HC
So, is this a therapy group?
No, it is an educational course that you will take part in alongside other people.
Will I be expected to share any personal information or how I am feeling?
No. You will never be asked to speak about your problems in front of others; instead you can just sit back and learn some of the ways to control stress.
Can I bring someone with me?
Yes, you are very welcome to take someone with you to provide support, this could be a friend or family member.
How do I book a place or find out more?
Just call our friendly staff! Call us on 01484 343700.
We can then give you more information and tell you about dates and venues near you.
Do you need more support?
If you feel like you need more support than the stress control course can provide, don’t worry, there are different types of help available.