Single point of access
The Calderdale and Kirklees single point of access team receives all referrals for mental health services in Calderdale and Kirklees. The team directs all the referrals to the most appropriate Trust services or advises the referrer of the best organisation to contact.
The team screens all referrals for urgency i.e. whether they need a response within 4 hours, 24 hours or 14 days. They meet with people whohave been screened to need a 4 or 24 hour response (urgent referral) face to face to assess their needs, and also sees some people who need an assessment within 14 days.
The single point of access team also provides a 24 hour, 7 day a week helpline for service users and can offer advice to referrers at any time.
It also manages all inpatient ward beds in Kirklees and provides a gatekeeping service to assess whether people need to be admitted to hospital or can be nursed in their home environment. It does this along with its sister team, Kirklees intensive home based treatment.
Why would someone choose the service
- Feedback from the Customer Service Excellence review (an accreditation for organisations) said that the team provided a ‘single, unified and streamlined point of access that focuses on meeting service user needs in a safe and effective way’ and ‘the self referral option in Kirklees should be expanded across the full organisation’.
- Improved timeliness, especially for those in need of acute services.
- Following the least restrictive methods and supporting shorter stays in hospital.
- Working in a way that focuses on recovery, promoting hope and optimism.
- Access and signposting to other services in the community.
- Advice and information.
Staff you may meet
- Social worker