Community musculoskeletal service
The community musculoskeletal service (MSK) aims to provide a specialist triage and assessment service for MSK referrals in Barnsley. The service aims to provide the best options of care, ensuring patients are seen by the most appropriate healthcare professional, at the appropriate time and in the appropriate place.
The service provides a high quality service for adults over the age of 16 who have a spinal, peripheral joint, soft tissue or neuromuscular problem. Children of school age are seen by the childrens therapy services.
The service brings together the previous MSK screening service, MSK assessment and treatment service and musculoskeletal physiotherapy service into one holistic service.
Patients referred to the community MSK service will be assessed by extended scope practitioners, physiotherapists or GPs with special interest in MSK problems. They will provide advice and, where necessary, investigations to help with diagnosis and management planning. Referrals to either secondary care providers or other primary care therapy services can be made directly from this service.
Further treatment by the service may include a variety of techniques such as manual therapy, exercise, self management techniques, advice, posture correction, electrotherapy, acupuncture, hydrotherapy and groups eg gym, tai chi and core stability.
Why would someone choose the service
- Clinical staff help you to understand the nature of your problem and will help you to return to your best possible potential recovery.
- Our appointments allow you the time to ask questions and be involved in making decisions about your care.
- We work closely with your GP and secondary care consultants to make sure you get the best care available.
- Clinic locations available throughout Barnsley.
Staff you may meet
- Non-clinical support staff
- Other clinical staff