Musculoskeletal community service
The musculoskeletal screening service (MSK) in Barnsley aims to provide a high quality service for adults over the age of 16 who have a spinal, peripheral joint, soft tissue or neuromuscular problem of long term presentation. Children of school age are seen by the paediatric orthopaedic services.
The musculoskeletal screening service deals with routine problems only. These may be chronic or recent in presentation but problems that are deemed clinically urgent should be referred directly to a service where acute problems are dealt with.
Patients referred to the musculoskeletal screening service will be assessed by Extended Scope practitioner Physiotherapists or GP with Special interest in MSK problems. They will provide advice and, where necessary, investigations to help with diagnosis and management planning. Referrals onwards to either secondary care providers or other primary care therapy services can be made directly from this service.
Why would someone choose the service
• Easy access to the service
• 100% satisfaction shown on patient surveys
• Clinical staff help you to understand the nature of your problem and will help you to return to your best possible potential recovery.
• Our appointments allow you the time to ask questions and be involved in making decisions about your care.
• We work closely with your GP and secondary care consultants to make sure you get the best care available
• The service has won a PROUD award.
Staff you may meet
- Non-clinical support staff
- Other clinical staff