Physiotherapy in mental health
The physiotherapy in mental health service provides a physiotherapy and exercise service to any adult with mental health problems who is unable to access mainstream services independently.
The multi-skilled team aims to promote wellbeing and independence. This is done by using physical and psychological approaches, discussed with the patient, in order to achieve identified goals.
Staff from the physiotherapy in mental health service have expertise in all elements of wellbeing including; exercise, healthy eating, weight management, stop smoking and management of anxiety and depression.
Staff treat musculoskeletal; orthopaedic; respiratory and neurological conditions. They also help to address the management of chronic pain; effects of eating disorders, cognitive impairment, mobility problems and postural management for people with mental health problems.
The service ensures that individual needs are supported by working closely with families and carers where appropriate.
Why would someone choose the service
- We ensure carer’s needs are always considered and, where appropriate, are offered the opportunity to participate in activities with the person they care for.
- People using the service have been supported to carry out voluntary work with the team to help them access paid employment or further training.
- The team is well respected by universities for offering a good experience to students.
- Patients are involved in negotiating their own goals of attendance and are reviewed to assess if they are being met.
- Facilities are newly decorated and there is a fully equipped, regularly serviced gym for patient use.
- Physiotherapy staff enable people to work at their own pace and always respect people’s wishes.
An ongoing postal survey of people using the service has shown that:
- 100% had a positive first impression of the service
- 100% felt they were treated with respect
- 100% felt staff understood their concerns
- 99% were offered a choice of appointments
- 100% found their treatment and/ or advice helpful
- 100% were satisfied with the service received
Staff you may meet
- Specialist health worker