Sexual health team
The Calderdale sexual health team is part of the health improvement service in Calderdale. The sexual health team offers support to organisations and partners to promote positive sexual health messages to young people in order to help them develop healthy relationships
Support offered includes a sexual health drop-in through Calderdale College, offering chlamydia screening, pregnancy testing and general advice. The team also deliver sessions to young people and training for staff in organisations with a remit to work with and support young people and provision of chlamydia screening to young people aged 15-24.
Sessions delivered by the team are tailored to meet the needs of different age groups and aims to provide support and advice in order to help people:
- Develop positive relationships
- Recognise unhealthy relationships
- Seek appropriate support
- Have the confidence in talking about pressures they may face
The sexual health team also run a number of successful projects, including the C-card scheme which is delivered in cooperation with a range of partner agencies. The scheme offers young people access to sexual health support and advice in order to encourage the practice of safer sex and reduce the risk of acquiring Sexually Transmitted Infections or experiencing unintended pregnancy.
Why would someone choose the service
- Young people often value the opportunity to talk to trusted workers about relationships and sexual health, in non-clinical settings. this is particularly important for young men although all young people can benefit from this service.
Staff you may meet
- Non-clinical support staff