Information and resources
From information, apps to free online workouts and activities for young people, we’ve got you covered.
Mental health information and support
- NHS England: Mental health and wellbeing
- Every Mind Matters: Coronavirus and mental wellbeing
- Public Health England: COVID-19: guidance for the public on mental health and wellbeing (including an Easy Read version)
- Mind: Coronavirus and your wellbeing
- Mental Health Foundation: Looking after your mental health during the Coronavirus outbreak
- Samaritans: If you’re worried about your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak
- Health Unlocked has more than 700 online communities to help you connect with people who have a similar health condition.
Activities and resources
Mental health and wellbeing
- NHS.uk has a range of audio guides that cover a range of topics such as anxiety and unhelpful thinking
- NHS.uk has an approved list of mental health helplines and websites, with the majority of websites having a specific area for coronavirus mental health support
- NHS.uk also has an App Library to help you find apps and online tools to help you manage your health and wellbeing.
Mindfulness and relaxation
- Headspace have created a free section in their app called ‘Weathering the storm’ which is available to access over the next few months. This includes meditation, sleep and movement exercises
- The Mental Health Foundation have a range of wellbeing podcasts
- The Be Mindful course (£30 fee) can help you in reducing stress, depression and anxiety. It guides you through the elements of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT)
- Join the Movement of Yorkshire Sport Foundation have a range of online information and resources to help you to #StayInWorkOut. They also have an online physical activity finder showing virtual activities available from different organisation and clubs for different age groups and interests
- Sport England has compiled a list of ways we can all stay active whilst social distancing or from home. From home work-outs to getting fit with the kids
- The Body Coach has over 250 free home work-outs for all fitness levels
- Active Calderdale have launched their Keeping active during Covid-19 campaign; which has ideas and links for people of all abilities
- Public Health England have produced a Active at Home booklet for older adults to provide practical guidance on home-based activities to maintain their strength and balance.
- Celebrity singers from around the world are support the World Health Organisation and Global Citizen’s #TogetherAtHome initiative and live-streaming virtual concerts through their social media channels. Missed the live-streaming? Catch all past performances
- The Great British Home Chorus is a new digital initiative to bring together both amateur and professional performers around the country
- Royal Opera House is offering a free programme of curated online broadcasts as part of our #OurHousetoYourHouse series. Full-length productions, musical masterclasses and glimpses behind the scenes can be seen for free any time, anywhere across the globe.
- BBC News have rounded together the best live-streaming and virtual tours so that you can see the world without leaving your own home
- Marvel at world-famous artefacts from your own home. Leeds-List have pulled together 10 virtual museum tours
- The National Theatre are streaming free full-length plays.
For children and young people
- Barnsley Council’s ‘Our Summer Challenge’ booklet is free for families to download and print at home. It’s full of free, fun activities to keep your family moving throughout the summer!
- The Wakefield Safeguarding Children Partnership have put together a special Summer edition of their family activity newsletter; ‘Let’s have a proper staycation’. take part in a virtual sports day, navigate the stars, start checking off a summer bucket list, and try out some sizzling BBQ recipes – with options for a sweet and savoury tooth!
- Need some inspiration and ideas about what to do with the family during the school holidays? The Wakefield Early Help website now has information about what activities and events are available for families across the district during the summer holidays. Take a look here to see what is happening – and don’t forget to check back as the site will be updated regularly!
- Scouts have created ‘The Great Indoors’ programme which shares more than 100 free activities, games and craft ideas on their website – keeping young people busy at home
Chatter Pack have also created a list of free, online, boredom-busting resources for people of all ages, that can be accessed from home.
- Barnsley community responders
- Calderdale community response
- Kirklees community response
Page last updated on: