For many people, it’s an act of real courage to come into the Packhorse Gallery and ask if their work might be put on a show or if they might volunteer. Once that barrier is crossed, confidence grows and helps people take the next steps in their creative journey.
The project aims to provide more opportunities, supporting people to feel able to realise their potential and enjoy the exciting journey.
The project is for:
- Artists who use/have used mental health services and those who feel that creativity improves wellbeing
- People who are not artists but who enjoy a creative environment and choose to participate as volunteers
The project aims to:
- Facilitate a Packhorse Gallery forum for artists and volunteers for discussions, sharing of ideas and peer support
- Build a framework, working with the artists and Forum, to help artists link to other galleries to show work, increase sales and build self-confidence and sense of achievement
- Identify local opportunities in non-gallery venues for exhibition of work
- Identify awards, competitions and other opportunities
- Oversee 6 residencies per year – the artists to work in the Gallery for an agreed time, eg 6 hours per week x 4 weeks, and offer 1 workshop on a topic of their choosing. Support would be offered to the artist as required to build skills and confidence to fulfil this role. The Gallery would publicise and promote the residency, contribute towards materials used and offer a 4 week exhibition at the end of the residency
To join the project, call into the Packhorse Gallery or Create Space and complete an application form, or email firstname.lastname@example.org