Beat It provides creative music, dance and drama sessions that allow individuals to develop their skills, confidence and also the much needed opportunity to socialise with others who have similar interests. We invite people with learning disabilities, physical disabilities and mental health difficulties to get involved.
Each session runs for 3 hours, from 12.30-3.30pm, every week at 36 Gibbet Street, HX1 5BA
By running engaging music, dance and drama sessions we aim to:
- increase people’s skills and ability to play instruments, act and dance
- increase people’s confidence by working towards doing performances on stage and recordings that can be put on YouTube and be shared via social media
- promote social inclusion in the sessions and ensure nobody is excluded
- create friendships. Members develop the confidence to meet up outside the sessions, go for coffee or a meal, and even take a trip to the seaside together. All of which is evidenced by our other successful sessions
- offer members the chance to get physically involved in the sessions, we provide the space and time for people to have a dance and get involved in playing an instrument
To develop the sessions further, we’ll be working with other local partners including Annapurna Indian dance, SORM studios and Purple Patch, who can run workshops during the sessions. For example, working with Annapurna Indian dance would enable us to organise a dance and music workshop so that the group could learn some Indian drum beats to record and then dance to with the possibility of a performance.
Who is this project for?
The project is for adults with mental health or learning disabilities.
How do I access this project? – If you would like to join in the fun at one of our sessions, please call Imagineer on 01422 363817 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.beatit.org.uk for further info.