As part of Get active, Get involved 2013 the Trust’s physical activity development team have organised a special week of activities, running from Monday 10 June- Friday 14 June to boost local people’s fitness levels, improve their wellbeing and invite them to have fun.
Activities have been organised in venues across the district and include dance sessions, badminton matches, football tournaments and cricket games.
The Trust’s physical activity development team support people, regardless of ability, to get involved in sporting activities to build their confidence. The activities that have been planned include:
- Monday 10 June – Dance for all session including Zumba, street, circle and tea dance, Barnsley Civic Theatre – 10.30am – 4pm
- Tuesday 11 June – Badminton and table tennis tournament, Hoyland Leisure Centre – 10am – 4pm
- Wednesday 12 June – Cricket and netball tournament, Shaw Lane Rugby Club – 10am – 4pm
- Thursday 13 June – Football tournament, Barnsley Football Club – 1– 6pm
- Friday 14 June – Together run, Locke Park – 9.30am
The activities are open to everyone including those who use our services in Barnsley, their carers, family and friends and are completely free to enter.
Jane Baker, physical activity assistant in the team said, “We have organised the week of activities in June to give local people the opportunity to get involved in the sport, try something they’ve never done before and enjoy the benefits of doing physical activity. Not only does physical activity boost your fitness levels, it also helps boost your mental wellbeing by relieving stress, boosting confidence and encouraging participation in a social event.
“These activities build on the success of the activities we ran last summer, which aimed to use the spirit of London 2012 to get people involved. This year’s activities are open to everyone including those who use our services in Barnsley, their carers, family and friends and are completely free to enter.”
For information about the week of activities contact Jane on 01226 434784 or email firstname.lastname@example.org