The artwork sessions delivered under this project intend to offer local people in Barnsley the opportunity to learn a new skill, build confidence in their abilities and socialise with others from their local communities.
The art sessions are delivered weekly, led by a local artist and volunteer who has experience of using mental health services. People from different cultures and backgrounds are encouraged to come together and share their creativity. All participants are taught to express their thoughts, feelings and visions by drawing and then through painting.
All the work produced during the groups will be displayed at an exhibition that will be open to the public to attend.
Those who attend are also encouraged to share their thoughts and feelings creatively through the work they produce, therefore improving their mental wellbeing as they find new ways to express themselves.
By attending the art sessions, it is intended that people will:
- Develop new creative skills that they can be proud of
- Gain a sense of empowerment
- Meet and socialise with new people from different cultures and backgrounds
- Find out more about mental health, reducing the stigma associated with it
- Develop ways that they can express themselves creatively