Onwords & Upwords is a free creative writing workshop for individuals with a variety of physical and mental health needs in Barnsley. The workshops aim to improve the health and wellbeing of participants whilst nurturing their creative talents.
The project is being run by Signposts, a writing project based across South Yorkshire and will see the group team up with the Trust’s Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS), the Insight and Early Intervention team, the Community Mental Health Teams (CMHTs) and our day service providers to recruit participants who will benefit most from the project.
Signposts aim to develop the writing skills and creative talents of all participants and will encourage them to work as part of a team, learn to communicate with others and take a leadership role in activities. Such skills will improve the confidence and self-esteem of those taking part and help them to make new friends and develop key social skills.
The project will also explore key health issues and look at the personal stories of participants with the overall aim being to improve their physical and mental health and wellbeing.
Based on our previous experience of similar projects, we expect to achieve the following outcomes as a result of the project by the end of the 12 months:
- At least 75% of participants report improved confidence and self-esteem
- At least 75% of participants report an overall improvement in their health and well-being
- At least 75% of participants expand their social network and/or feel less isolated
- At least 75% of participants develop new or improve existing key skills
- At least 90% of participants become more confident writers and are more likely to undertake writing independently of the group
- At least 75% of participants are more likely to participate in other creative activities