DIVA (development initiatives for voluntary arts) delivers a programme of training and support to people with mental health needs to enable them to set up and run their own arts groups.
DIVA has been running tutor led workshops for mental health service users in the community and individuals who have taken part expressed an interest in managing their own groups so they can continue their interests.
The project aims to:
- Provide peer support and a safe environment where individuals can pursue their interests and develop their skills
- Engage people who have become socially isolated and encourage them to be more involved (or get re-involved) in activities in their community
- Empower individuals through the experience of volunteering and managing their own activities.
- Widen the range of creative opportunities available to service users
- Build links between groups and introduce new groups to the wider voluntary arts groups network, providing a source of on-going support
- Tackle some of the obstacles that prevent service users accessing creative activities by enabling them to devise activities that are reflective of their needs and delivered in a supportive environment