Domiciliary physiotherapy service
We assess, advise and treat anyone who is unable to attend an outpatient appointment or anyone whose treatment would be more appropriate in their own home.
What is domiciliary physiotherapy?
Domiciliary care, sometimes also referred to as homecare, is the delivery of a service in an individual’s own home – or a residential or nursing home.
We aim to enable a person and/or their carers to self-manage their condition.
This usually involves assessment and a course of treatment.
What do we do?
The team provides:
- Physiotherapy in the most appropriate setting for a patient e.g. own home, residential and nursing homes.
- Respiratory clinics to assess and provide advice for anyone with a confirmed respiratory diagnosis of a mild to moderate breathing condition.
- Mobility assessment clinics where we assess mobility problems and, if appropriate, issue equipment.
- Falls assessments where all patients seen by our service are assessed for a risk of falling and we can then give appropriate treatment and advice.
What will happen?
Once you are referred to our service a physiotherapist will contact you, usually by telephone, to arrange a suitable time to visit.
Unfortunately we cannot offer a specific time for your appointment, but usually, we are able to offer a morning or afternoon slot.
On the initial visit, an assessment will be carried out, and treatments may include advice, exercise, pain management and mobility practice. We will agree on any care or treatment in partnership with you.
Please note that we operate a non-smoking policy, so please refrain from smoking for one hour prior to the visit.
Please also ensure any pets are kept away from where you will be assessed.
How can I get referred to the service?
Your GP, consultant or specialist nurse will refer you to our service.
How can I be referred for a mobility assessment at home?
There are several ways:
- You can refer yourself by just giving us a call
- Carers or relatives can refer you
- Social Services can refer you
What can’t the service provide?
We cannot treat anyone under the age of 16 years.
This service is not suitable for patients who are able to use public or private transport to get to an outpatient facility.
If you cannot attend your appointment
If you are unable to attend your appointment please contact us as soon as possible on 01226 433112 or 433179.
If you do not keep your appointment we will contact you to arrange another. However, if you do not respond you may be discharged and we will need a new referral before we can see you again.
Letting us know if you are going to miss an appointment as soon as possible makes the best use of NHS resources and gives us the opportunity to offer your appointment to another person, so we appreciate your co-operation.
Mapplewell Health Centre,
276, Darton Lane,
Telephone: 01226 645429
Fax: 01226 433297
The above information is also available to download in our Barnsley Therapy- Domiciliary physiotherapy leaflet.
View our service directory for more information.