The Fieldhead master plan is a £17m investment in mental health services for local people by the Trust.
Our new adult acute mental health centre at Fieldhead Hospital in Wakefield opened in September 2017. The Unity Centre has been purpose-built and treats patients from across our geographical footprint. It incorporates the Stanley male adult acute mental health ward and Walton psychiatric intensive care ward. There is also a new section 136 suite.
That was the end of our first major phase of building works. The next phase is now underway with the main entrance/visitor centre and Nostell ward due to open in Summer 2018 with the full refurbishment of Priory to follow for the new fit-for-purpose Chantry ward.
The Unity Centre has been built by the Trust’s contractor Interserve. The project has been funded entirely using money from the Trust’s reserves and we are not tied into any maintenance contracts.
Since our last update work has progressed well on site, with the outside of the new building now looking substantially complete. Here’s what’s been happening:
- Work on the roof is now almost complete.
- All the windows for the new building have now been installed.
- The external render is progressing and has been completed to the bedroom wing and courtyard.
- The bedrooms are now fully plastered and decorating has commenced.
- New internal doors are now being installed.
- New equipment has been delivered to the plant room, including an air handling unit, electrical switch panel, air conditioning condensers, boilers and water heaters