Important coronavirus information please read
We have made changes to visiting
Update: Sharing your health records

What if you’re still unhappy?

We aim to do our best to put things right if you are unhappy with our service. If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint we will offer to discuss it with you to see if we can do more to resolve it.

If you are still unhappy with the outcome of your complaint you can then complain to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is independent of the NHS and Government and can investigate complaints about services or treatment and how complaints have been handled.

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
Tel: 0345 015 4033

Your right to complain to the Care Quality Commission (Sections 120 and 134A of the Mental Health Act 1983)

If you have a complaint about your treatment under the Mental Health Act you can ask the Care Quality Commission to help. The Commission is an independent body which makes sure that mental health law is used correctly and that patients are cared for properly while they are kept in a hospital or are on guardianship or on supervised community treatment.

You can write to them at:

Care Quality Commission
The Belgrave Centre
Stanley Place
Talbot Street

Or you can telephone them on 0115 873 6250.

You can contact the Commission while you are still in hospital or on guardianship or on supervised community treatment. But you can also contact them later if you want to.

Commissioners visit hospitals regularly to meet patients and check that they are being treated properly under the Mental Health Act. If you are in hospital when a Commissioner visits, you can speak to them then. The ward manager can tell you the date of the next visit.

You may find that your complaint can be sorted out sooner if you raise it first with the people responsible for your care. They can also give you information about the local complaints procedure, which you can use to try to sort out your complaint locally.

Our Trust works with the Care Quality Commission and the Ombudsman to try to resolve any complaints.

Page last updated on: