Important coronavirus information please read
We have made changes to visiting
Update: Sharing your health records

Child and adolescent mental health service (CAMHS) (Barnsley)

Page last updated on:

About the service

CAMHS stands for child and adolescent mental health services. We are the NHS service that offers support and treatment for children and young people, aged up to 18 years old, who are experiencing difficulties with their mental health and wellbeing.

We also support parents, carers and families of these children and young people too.

In Barnsley, CAMHS is made up of several teams. Each team works in a slightly different way, and specialises in different areas, but we all work together to support children, young people and families during their journey with CAMHS.

Our teams are made up of lots of different healthcare professionals who have experience of working specifically with children and young people. This includes; nurses, social workers, psychologists, doctors, therapists and support workers.


What can Barnsley CAMHS help with?

Usually, when a child or young person feels sad, stressed, frightened or worried, these feelings will pass with time and with help from family, friends, teachers or other health or care professionals. There is a lot of evidence and research that shows how eating well, doing activities that you enjoy and getting a good nights sleep also help with protecting and improving your mental health.

However, sometimes these feelings can go on for a very long time and can negatively affect everyday life, for example; friendships, school, college and home life. When things get to this point, Barnsley CAMHS can offer you and those around you more support.


We help young people with some of the following problems or difficulties:

  • Feelings of sadness, low mood or depression
  • Obsessive thoughts and behaviours such as having to check or repeat things
  • Anxiety issues, including panic attacks
  • Self-harm and thoughts of hurting themselves
  • Suicidal thoughts or thoughts that “I don’t want to be here anymore”
  • Problems with eating and food
  • Long standing difficulties with coping after a scary and traumatic event.
  • We also can give parents and carers of children and young people advice on how to support their child with the difficulties they are experiencing.

We work in partnership with other health and care professionals in order to meet the needs of children, young people and families as a whole. These professionals include schools, GPs and social workers.


How do Barnsley CAMHS help?

Professionals, parents and carers, alongside young people aged 16 and 17 can contact the Barnsley CAMHS team directly for support. Please note that a child or young person must be registered with a GP practice in Barnsley to access support from Barnsley CAMHS.

All calls or referrals are managed centrally by the CAMHS ‘Single Point of Access’ team, who are also known as ‘SPA’.

Upon contacting Barnsley CAMHS, you will be put through to the SPA team. During this initial conversation, the clinician will ask different questions this is to help us understand how best to support you and your child or young person.

CAMHS provide a range of support depending on what is needed. This support may include:

  • Signposting to other relevant services and resources
  • Group work for anxiety, low mood and self-confidence
  • Solution-focused therapy and treatment
  • Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
  • Family work and therapy
  • Art psychotherapy
  • Play therapy
  • Interpersonal therapy
  • Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing therapy
  • Medication
  • Urgent support when there is an immediate mental health risk
  • Support may take place over the telephone, online or face to face

Where are CAMHS based in Barnsley?

CAMHS can work flexibly to support you. This means we can provide appointments via the telephone, online or face to face (including at homes and in community settings). Each appointment type and location of the appointment is planned to suit your needs.

CAMHS is based at New Street Health Centre, in the centre of Barnsley, just opposite the car park of the large Morrison’s.

CAMHS – Entrance two
New Street Health Centre,
Upper New Street,
S70 1LP

Telephone: 01226 644829


When should I contact Barnsley CAMHS?

Contacting and getting support, treatment or an appointment with the team is known as making a ‘referral’.

Most people that contact or ‘refer’ into CAMHS have already received emotional and/or mental health support from another health or care professional or service. This could include; school staff, the team at TAD’s, Mindspace in schools, voluntary agencies, or another counselling service. If things haven’t improved from this initial support, CAMHS can help.

It could also be that somebody else suggests that your child or young person might need extra help, because they’ve noticed behaviours that cause them concern. Health care, education and other professionals can make referrals to CAMHS with your consent.

CAMHS can also help with urgent concerns regarding a child or young person who needs immediate support from a mental health professional. This can be referred to as ‘crisis support’ However, we always encourage young people, parents, carers or health, care, education and other professionals to contact CAMHS before a concern reaches this point.


How to contact or ‘refer’ into Barnsley CAMHS

If you’re a professional, a young person aged 16 to 17 or a parent or carer of a child or young person under the age of 18, you can contact Barnsley CAMHS on 01226 644829, you will then be transferred to the SPA team.

We would encourage you to ring and discuss making a referral if you are at all unsure.

Barnsley CAMHS work Monday-Friday 9am – 5pm (excluding bank holidays)

In times of emergency, when a young person has presented to accident and emergency with concerns for their mental health; they will have an emergency assessment undertaken by the all age liaison team based at the hospital. CAMHS will then be informed and the C&HBT team will offer a follow up contact within seven days (this could be face to face or over the phone and could be on a weekend or bank holiday)

For support required in an emergency outside of these hours please contact your out of hours GP (by calling your practice number as usual) or NHS 111.

You should only contact the emergency services on 999 or go to your nearest A&E if:

  • Someone’s life is at risk – for example, they have seriously injured themselves or taken an overdose
  • You do not feel you can keep yourself or someone else safe


✰ Resources to help you ✰

Local resources include, but are not limited to those given below:

Our colleagues in Wakefield CAMHS have developed a resources area which has lots of information and downloadable workbooks, leaflets and materials to help support you, or your child.

Visit the resources page

Staff you may meet