Community mental health team (CMHT) (Lower Valley)

Page last updated on:

About the service

Lower Valley community mental health team provides assessment, support and care for people with complex mental health needs. These include moderate to severe depression, moderate to severe anxiety, and mood disorders including bipolar disorder, psychotic illnesses and personality disorders.

Psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, and psychologists and administrative staff work together in the team to provide personalised care.

Care and support are provided in a variety of different settings including clinics, in the person’s home or in community settings to promote recovery and independence.

We also work closely with the Calderdale inclusion support service which promotes social, educational and work opportunities.

Why would someone choose the service?

The service supports people with complex mental health needs in a way which focuses on their needs as an individual.
The team works with service users and their carers to achieve a level of recovery suited to the individual, completing an ‘early warning relapse prevention plan’ with each service user to enable them to recognise the signs of relapse if necessary. This information is shared with a range of people with the service user’s permission.
Service users are signposted to community facilities suitable for their needs.

In a patient and carer experience survey carried out in November 2013, 67% of people said they had a care plan. Service user comments about their care plan included “It is constructive for my wellbeing.”
100% of service users said they were able to express their views at a meeting/review and 100% of service users found the meetings/reviews helpful.
67% of service users said they were ‘extremely likely’ to recommend the service to family and friends, and the remaining 33% said they were ‘likely’ to recommend the service to family and friends.
When asked the main reason why they would recommend the service, one service user said: “They are brilliant, supportive and helpful.”

In the carer survey, 100% of respondents said:

  • They had the opportunity to contribute to the care of the person they care for
  • They are definitely happy with the opportunities they had to ask questions
  • They are aware that the person they care for could develop advanced decisions/statements for the future
  • That their own needs for support are responded to by mental health services

Staff you may meet