NHS Trust increases recycling


An NHS Trust’s efforts to encourage staff to recycle have been successful with over two thirds of the Trust’s general waste being recycled and no waste now going to landfill.

South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, which provides a range of community, mental health and learning disability services to the people of Barnsley, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield, introduced new procedures to encourage recycling across the organisation in 2012.

As part of the procedures, staff separate waste into special bins. The Trust is also working with contractors who provide eco- friendly services to further improve on sustainability.

Since the launch of the programme, the Trust has made some significant progress with 68% of general waste now being recycled. The remaining 32% of general waste, unsuitable for usual forms of recycling, is used to generate electricity and/or heat meaning that 0% waste from the Trust is sent to landfill.

Dawn Stephenson, director of corporate services said. “We’re extremely proud of our recycling figures. Staff from the Trust have really got on board and have been working hard to improve recycling across the organisation.

“By working together and making small changes where we can, collectively we can make our own solution for a better future. Being sustainable also helps us to save money which can be put back into providing services for local people.”

You can find out more about the Trust’s sustainability agenda at www.southwestyorkshire.nhs.uk/sustainability

NHS Trust increases recycling

time to read: 1 min