Wakefield child and adolescent mental health services join forces with local drug and alcohol service
A new service in Wakefield sees our child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) partner up with Turning Point and Family Action to provide drug and alcohol support to local young people.
Known as ‘Inspiring Futures’, the new service is available for young people aged 25 and under, alongside their families and carers.
The service offers a range of specialist support to those who may be struggling with alcohol and drug issues. This support includes:
- Education about drugs and alcohol
- 1:1 support and space to talk things through
- Support to look at drug or alcohol use, including what is being used, how much and how often
- Help with deciding what changes a person wants to make, with support to cut down, quit and gain control
- Support for families and carers from an onsite Family Action worker, alongside access to FamilyLine – a free helpline for family members over the age of 18 which offers befriending and counselling support Monday to Friday 9am to 9pm (0808 8026666) and a text crisis line outside of these hours (07537 404282).
The service also includes mental health support and advice from Wakefield CAMHS, for those aged 18 and under.
Michelle McVittie, mental health practitioner at Wakefield CAMHS, said: “We know that many alcohol and drug issues go hand-in-hand with mental health and wellbeing difficulties. It’s therefore very important that Wakefield CAMHS can support and be part of the Inspiring Futures service.
“Our role is to primarily provide low level support to people who use the service, covering areas such as anxiety, low mood and sleep. We are also here as a link to other more specialist services at Wakefield CAMHS too, should further support be needed.”
Although based at Cross Street in Wakefield city centre, the service covers the Wakefield district and can meet in flexible locations chosen by individuals who want support including; schools and youth clubs.
Beverley Rankine, team leader at Inspiring Futures, Turning Point, said: “It’s fantastic to have services such as Wakefield CAMHS and Family Action supporting our service.
“The service went live in July 2020, and we have been busy supporting over 60 young people and young adults, and 35 family members.
“Please remember that we are here to help, you can get in touch by calling us on 0300 123 1912 or emailing us on Wakefield-IF@turning-point.co.uk.”