Barnsley children’s speech and language therapy team
What the Barnsley speech therapy team does
Speech and language therapists work with children and young people who have communication difficulties and also swallowing difficulties that affect eating and drinking. Currently the services works on a referral, delivery of care packages and then discharge process.
Other Difficulties: Other Services to contact
Children who need support with:
- Social use of language: the education system can refer to the communication and interaction team for strategies and support in the setting to help with social use of language. Contact the team on 01226 773377.
- Voice: for problems associated with their voice contact your GP who can refer your child to the speech and language therapy department at Barnsley District Hospital.
- Autism Spectrum disorders: for various difficulties associated with Autism Spectrum Condition you can contact the National Autistic Society Early Bird Team to attend an Early Bird Programme [external site]
- Makaton signing: if your child needs support with Makaton signing this is a service provided jointly with the communication and interaction team. See the latest news section for courses available.
- PECs: if your child needs support with PECs (Picture Exchange Communication) this is a service provided jointly with the communication and interaction team (Education Inclusion Services).
Further information about help available can be found on the information about communication and swallowing difficulties page.