The neurological physiotherapy outpatients service provides specialist neurological physiotherapy for adults over the age of 16 with a neurological condition.
The service provides assessment and treatment to promote functional independence and support people to achieve their full rehabilitation potential.
The service offers advice and education to help people understand their condition and promote self -management.
Why would someone choose the service?
Patient satisfaction survey results – 100% said we treated patients with dignity and respect, 100% said they were very likely / likely to recommend the service to friends and family, 100% stated they had benefitted from their appointment.
Patient centred holistic approach to treatment
Treatment in an outpatient setting
Excellent links and joint working with other professionals e.g. physiotherapy teams, speech and language, occupational therapy.
Excellent knowledge and skills to provide highly specialist neurological physiotherapy
Staff you may meet
Administrative staff provide essential support to doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals. This can be in a variety of different settings, with administrators working as a receptionist in a clinic or a clerk on a ward. They may also be working closely with a consultant as a medical secretary.
The NHS employs a wide range of clinical staff, it wouldn’t be possible to list them all on this website! All our clinical staff are skilled, dedicated professionals who adhere to high standards of training and work-place practice.
Physiotherapists help people to improve their range of movement in order to promote health and well being. This can help people to live more independently.
Why a professional should choose the service
• Highly trained physiotherapists specialising in neurological rehabilitation enabling people to achieve their best possible rehabilitation potential and outcomes.
• We complete individual assessments to tailor therapy to the individual’s needs.
• We provide individual treatment sessions and have several group exercises classes available.
• Our appointments allow people time to ask questions and be involved in the decision making about their treatment. Appointments offered at a variety of times to meet patient needs
• Our service works closely with other health professionals to maximise therapy and treatment outcomes. This may include onward referrals to other agencies.
• Proactive approach to managing long term conditions by educating and teaching patients how to self-manage their condition.
• All therapists are Health and Care Profession Council (HPCP) registered and monitored to achieve professional standards.
• Full comprehensive holistic assessment
• Provision of walking aids
• Falls screening
• Exercise groups
• Education and self-management advice
• Onward referrals
• To enable a patient to reach their potential and achieve improved physical health in addition to self-managing their condition
• To improve patient function in line with their goals
• Prevent hospital admissions
• Improve knowledge of condition
• Education of carers/relatives
• To provide training for physiotherapy students
• To maintain strong links with specialist nurses
Referrals accepted from:
A & E, AHPs, CMHTs, Consultants, GP staff, GPs, Hospital staff, Other NHS services, Other Trust services, Patients(self-referral)
• Patient must have a neurological condition
• Over the age of 16
• Registered with a Barnsley GP or lives in Barnsley
• Able to attend an outpatient clinic
• Patient consents to assessment and treatment
• Patients who require the assistance of more than one therapist during treatment.
• Patients who require hoisting.
• Patients who do not have independent sitting balance.
• Patients who have a neurological condition whose functional levels have not changed in the last 6 months.
• Patients who are unable to complete any rehabilitation programme at home to ensure carryover from treatment.
• Patients who have a neurological problem but have been referred to physiotherapy for the treatment of a musculo-skeletal problem. e.g a patient who has Parkinson’s disease who has acute neck pain or ankle sprain.
• Patients with a previously unsuccessful physiotherapy episode for the same condition/problem.
• Patients with cognitive problems who could not comply with treatment.
• Patients age < 16 years still in full time education or < 19 years with learning disabilities (refer to community paediatric service)
• Referral for hydrotherapy.
• Referral only for the provision of splints / orthotics (directly refer to orthotics).
• Patients who require physiotherapy treatment / assessment at home
For urgent referral please call the above telephone number.