About the service
The paediatric audiology department provides specialist assessment and management of babies and children aged 0-18 with hearing problems, with close links to others professionals who have contact with these children.
Hearing assessments are performed by qualified audiologists in a state of the art paediatric audiological testing room.
Results and further investigations are discussed in consultations with doctors/consultants.
Children who require a hearing aid are issued with the latest digital technology and we will continue to update this and provide care until they reach adulthood.
Documents and leaflets
Why would someone choose the service?
- Diagnostic tests and assessments are undertaken by qualified staff in a way which follows guidelines from relevant expert and professional bodies
- 100% of parents felt their child’s privacy and dignity was maintained at all times. (patient and public involvement questionnaire March 2014)
- Early diagnosis and intervention helps to achieve improvements in children’s developmental milestones and enables them to reach their potential
- 100% of parents said they were likely or extremely likely to recommend the service to friends and family (patient and public involvement questionnaire September 2014)
- All permanent childhood hearing loss(PCHI) children are offered and fitted with a modern digital hearing instrument (hearing aid) within 2 weeks of confirmation of hearing loss by the consultant
Staff you may meet
- Administrative staff provide essential support to doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals. This can be in a variety of different settings, with administrators working as a receptionist in a clinic or a clerk on a ward. They may also be working closely with a consultant as a medical secretary.
- There are many people who work behind the scenes to keep services running and you may meet them in hospital or community settings. They include porters, cleaners, plumbers, electricians, decorators receptionists and secretaries who all work to make sure healthcare settings are kept clean, tidy and safe.
- The NHS employs a wide range of clinical staff, it wouldn’t be possible to list them all on this website! All our clinical staff are skilled, dedicated professionals who adhere to high standards of training and work-place practice.